MALPRACTICE INSURANCE FOR HEALTH & WELLNESS PROFESSIONALS
What is professional liability insurance for Dance Therapists?
In many professions, it’s prudent to acquire liability insurance; it’s not just for medical professionals anymore. In these litigious times, dance therapists are encouraged to carry coverage as well. Professional liability for dance therapists is an insurance policy written specifically to protect your career and assets by providing unlimited defense coverage in the case of a lawsuit.
Why take out your own dance therapist insurance policy (even if you’re a W2)?
Dance therapists are some of the most attentive and understanding professionals in the industry. You’ve worked hard through school to develop your love for movement into a career where breakthroughs occur alongside close bonds. The nature of your work may falsely lead you to believe that a client wouldn’t sue you, their therapist, but it happens and for a variety of reasons.
Let’s look at an example of a potential claim scenario.
A client with an eating disorder may come to you for therapy because they feel a lack of connection to their body. Through your work with the client, you may focus on the therapeutic use of movement to empower your client and to develop a connection between their mind, body, and spirit. The therapy may be working to break down negative behaviors like food restriction but if a lapse in progress occurs, the client could potentially sue you for their pain and suffering.
Whether their claim has merit or not, insurance for dance therapists will provide unlimited legal defense and pay and any amount the court awards to your client up to the limits of your policy.
Here is why having individual coverage is important:
- Your facility’s insurance policy may provide coverage, but if multiple employees are named in a lawsuit, the policy defense costs will be shared amongst everyone named, potentially leaving you without the necessary coverage to pay your attorney fees.
- If you are an independent contractor at a facility, you may not even be included on their policy. While it’s common for W-2 employees to be covered under the group policy, contractors should not assume coverage. Getting your own individual fitness insurance is easy.
- Occurrence form (lifetime) coverage
- A++ rated carrier for Financial Stability by A.M. Best Co.
- Portable coverage – follows your certification
- Optional General Liability (slip and fall) Coverage
- Premises Liability Coverage
- Personal Injury Liability Coverage
- Sexual Misconduct Expense Coverage
- Loss of Earnings Coverage
- HIPAA Proceedings Coverage
Professional liability insurance for dance therapists is a must, and with the uncertainty of coverage under your facility’s insurance, it’s even more important to have your own individual policy. It’s peace of mind, it’s confidence, and a quote is just a few clicks away.
The CPH Way
What Makes Us Different
Because our business is specialized, we are able to focus on your liability needs in a way that bigger companies are not. Our team of associates represent over 50 years of collective experience in this field, and we are able to serve a large client base while maintaining a small-office approach.