You’re great at helping others.
Don’t forget to help yourself.
Malpractice Insurance for Counselors.
CPH Insurance is proud to partner with LCPCM.
CPH Insurance offers 5% off their premium for applying online. Should LCPCM be a state chapter of AMHCA, you may select “AMHCA” from the association drop down on the application to receive an additional discount on the administrative fee (generally $20 but $10 for AMHCA members)
What is professional liability insurance for counselors?
Malpractice insurance isn’t only for medical professionals. In these litigious times, counselors are encouraged to carry professional liability insurance (or malpractice insurance) to safeguard from a claim or lawsuit as well. If a client, their spouse, or parent/guardian files a complaint or lawsuit, malpractice insurance for counselors provides unlimited defense coverage and state licensing board defense coverage to protect your career and assets. Below is a list of professions we insure:
- Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC)
- Certified Nutritional Counselor
- Counselor Intern (CI)
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed / Certified School Counselor
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Professional clinical Counselor Intern (PCC Intern)
- Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor
Why take out your own individual malpractice insurance as a counselor?
As a counselor, you know that some of the biggest breakthroughs occur once a client has settled into therapy and developed a level of trust with you. This trust comes, in part, from the intimate and private setting of the therapy itself. Unfortunately, this atmosphere also opens up counselors to claims of negligence and misconduct, and, to add insult to injury, your employer’s policy may not be enough.
Your employer’s policy is set up to cover the employer for any liability it may face from your work, but this doesn’t guarantee that the policy adequately covers you. Because employer provided insurance is in place to protect the employer, it’s prudent for the individual counselor to maintain their own policy that puts them first.
- Professional Liability Occurrence Form (Lifetime Coverage)
- Supplemental Liability Bodily injury & property damage during sessions
- State Licensing Board Defense Coverage $35,000
- Unlimited Defense Attorney fees in lawsuit defense
- Portable Coverage Follows your licensure or certification
- Telehealth Coverage Included in professional liability limits
- Deposition Expense $10,000 per deposition
- Medical Expense $5,000 per person
- Assault Coverage $15,000
- First Aid Coverage $15,000
- Sexual Misconduct Defense coverage only
- Attorney Helpline
2 hours per policy period
- General Liability $1,000,000 per occurrence $3,000,000 aggregate
- Business Personal Property / Contents $15,000
- Additional Insureds Landlords, employers, contracting agencies
- Cyber Liability Coverage
$15,000 or $25,000
- Business Income & Extra Expense Coverage $250,000
Here are 3 ways we make insurance easy:
- If you have a question about coverage or the application, give us a call. We’ll have a licensed insurance agent pick up directly (no phone trees).
- We’ve created a website based on years of servicing counselors and their concerns. You can apply online and receive your policy documents electronically.
- You’re not left in the dark once you have a policy. We offer two free hours of attorney consultations through our Avoiding Liability Helpline to discuss situations with clients that could potentially lead to a claim or lawsuit.
Malpractice Insurance Coverage Highlights
- Occurrence form “lifetime” coverage, meaning you don’t need to purchase tail coverage
- A++ rated carrier for Financial Stability by A.M. Best Co.
- Portable coverage – follows your certification
- Optional General Liability “slip and fall” Coverage and Business Personal Property Coverage (The CPH TOP™)
- $35,000 State Licensing Board Defense Coverage automatically included
- Deposition expense coverage
In a profession that deals with many complex and intimate personal issues, professional liability insurance for counselors is a must. It’s peace of mind, it’s confidence, and a quote is just a few clicks away.
If you own a business entity, corporation, or group practice click here to apply for the appropriate coverage.
Connect with a rep
by the second ring
Apply online and get
covered in minutes
Update policies and get
documents on your time