You’re great at helping others.
Don’t forget to help yourself.
CPH Insurance is proud to serve Utah Mental Health Counselors Association members in support of mental health professional growth and stability.
Having served mental health professionals for 20 years, CPH Insurance insures students, provisionally licensed interns, and fully licensed professionals with malpractice insurance.
As a Mental Health Counselor, you’ve dedicated your career to helping others, and you should be free to focus on clinical care without worrying about a threat to your livelihood. With Malpractice Insurance for Mental Health Counselors, you can have peace of mind knowing you’re protected in the event of a claim or suit, a grievance from a regulatory board, plus many other coverage benefits.
Over the course of a career, most therapists will experience this “What should I do?” moment. This is when professional liability insurance for mental health counselors is there to help you navigate the process. At CPH Insurance, we’re here so that when something like this happens, you don’t have to go it alone. Even if you don’t necessarily have a lawsuit or board complaint on your hands, we offer consultations with an attorney under our Avoiding Liability Helpline so that you can speak with someone to avoid any such situation.
This is just one benefit of our coverage. Because there can be a variety of needs when it comes to malpractice insurance for licensed mental health counselors, we provide a policy that goes beyond just providing a lawyer.
- Professional Liability Occurrence Form (Lifetime Coverage)
- Supplemental Liability Bodily injury & property damage during sessions
- State Licensing Board Defense Coverage $35,000
- Unlimited Defense Attorney fees in lawsuit defense
- Portable Coverage Follows your licensure or certification
- Telehealth Coverage Included in professional liability limits
- Deposition Expense $10,000 per deposition
- Medical Expense $5,000 per person
- Assault Coverage $15,000
- First Aid Coverage $15,000
- Sexual Misconduct Defense coverage only
- Attorney Helpline
2 hours per policy period
- General Liability $1,000,000 per occurrence $3,000,000 aggregate
- Business Personal Property / Contents $15,000
- Additional Insureds Landlords, employers, contracting agencies
- Cyber Liability Coverage
$15,000 or $25,000
- Business Income & Extra Expense Coverage $250,000
Whether you have questions before purchasing a policy or need assistance with an existing one, we have licensed insurance agents available by phone to lend knowledgeable support. At CPH Insurance, we treat professional liability insurance for Mental health Counselors similarly to how you treat your clients. We want to support you professionally so that as an individual you can be the best therapist to your clients and provide a lasting impact on the lives you touch.
NEW! Cyber liability can be added to your malpractice insurance policy starting at $87. Click here for more information!
Types of Counselors CPH Insurance Can Insure:
- Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC)
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed / Certified School Counselor
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor
What is professional liability insurance for counselors?
Professional liability insurance (or malpractice insurance) serves as a safeguard from claims or lawsuits. If a client, their spouse or parent/guardian files a complaint or lawsuit, malpractice insurance for counselors provides unlimited defense coverage and $35,000 of state licensing board defense coverage to protect your career and assets.
Why take out your own individual malpractice insurance as a counselor?
As a counselor, you know that some of the biggest breakthroughs occur once a client has settled into therapy and developed a level of trust with you. This trust comes, in part, from the intimate and private setting of the therapy itself. Unfortunately, this atmosphere also opens up counselors to claims of negligence and misconduct.
“Thanks, but I’m covered through my employer”
Sometimes, your employer’s policy is robust enough to cover your needs, but sometimes it may not be enough. Your employer’s policy is set up to cover the employer for any liability it may face from your work, but this doesn’t guarantee that the policy adequately covers you. Because employer provided insurance is shared among their employers and primarily covers the business entity and owner, it’s prudent for the individual counselor to maintain their own policy that puts them first.
Whether you operate a one-person LLC or large corporation, it’s important to adequately cover your business entity with corporate coverage. If you own a business entity, corporation, or group practice click here to apply for the appropriate coverage. This will cover both your business entity AND you as an individual (owner). For more information about business entity coverage, click here.
Connect with a rep
by the second ring
Apply online and get
covered in minutes
Update policies and get
documents on your time